Breakfast is no doubt the most important meal of the day.
My go-to’s have always been a vegetable egg scramble or a green smoothie. (And by always, I mean ever since I realized cereal and milk = gluten and dairy and for me that = bad.) When I started working, my morning routine and my breakfast time became even more important. Chopping veggies and tossing three eggs on the stove, or finding a sense of hypnosis as my precious Vitamix whirred up a few cups of nutrients- both brought me peace and sustenance to take on my day.
I’ve struggled with giving up my breakfast time in order to work out. I’ve always felt that a workout and shower at the gym before work had to mean a protein bar or oatmeal packet once I got to my desk, and that just ain’t gonna cut it for me.
Well y’all, this egg cup recipe has allowed me to take those nutrient-dense, belly-filling ingredients on the go!
- 1/4 cup shredded cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Brown your turkey in a pan. Feel free to flavor as you like here. I'll usually add a little garlic salt and oregano, but this is entirely up to your tastes or your pantry.
- While it's browning, chop the veggies.
- Spray your muffin tins with coconut (or avocado) oil spray.
- Evenly distribute all the veggies and turkey among the 24 cups.
- Pour the whisked eggs into each cup, filling almost to the top.
- If you’re adding cheese, sprinkle it on top. (I personally pass on the whey-filled shreds of bloat, but the man loves it so I sprinkle his with lots of cheese.)
- Bake for 30 minutes.
Let them cooly fully before putting them in a Ziploc or container. Stick them in the fridge. When you’re ready to eat them, pop them in the microwave for a minute and top with a little salt!
You can of course experiment with different veggies, meats, cheeses- whatever flavors float your boat!
I seriously make these most every weekend. I bring in a dozen to the office fridge on Monday morning and I eat a couple for breakfast every morning after yoga (usually with a couple antibiotic-free sausage links and lots of fruit too- big breakfasts are bomb!). Much better than any packet of instant oatmeal or chemical-packed protein bar.
And do yourself a solid and get this amazing silicone muffin pan. You don’t even have to spray with oil because the cups will pop right out, and all you have to do is wipe it down a little after. So. Darn. Easy. Everything your Sunday meal prep is calling for.
I hope these make your breakfast-on-the-go days as great as they make my breakfast-at-the-desk mornings at work. xx, molls